taxidermy & outdoors forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
taxidermy & outdoors forum

Taxidermy talk, hunting and fishing talk

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Okay.. Im interested...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
sam9266

sam9266

Okay.. Im interested... Empty
PostSubject: Okay.. Im interested...   Okay.. Im interested... EmptyThu Sep 13, 2007 9:12 pm

Okay...

I asked for some advise in the other thread and Matt, you said to go with 1.5" spring traps for fox and coyotes? So tonight I went to ebay and looked and they offer several auctions for some. I also noticed a lot of auctions for snares.
What would be the advantage of one over the other for a newbie?
Snares verses leg holds or spring traps.. especially for a newbie and for taxidermy purposes.
I was also wondering about the best way to dispatch the animal for taxidermy purposes.

Thanks.. sam
Back to top Go down
Matt (Administrator)
Admin
Matt (Administrator)

PostSubject: Re: Okay.. Im interested...   Okay.. Im interested... EmptyThu Sep 13, 2007 9:38 pm

Ok the 1 1/2 is good for fox,coon,cats,skunk but to catch a yote and keep him you will need atleast a # 2 trap. I sent you a PM on some traps i have. But as far as snares vs springs it would be spring traps hands down. Snares are hard to learn and it takes a long time to learn. Specialy for a begginer. Snares are set in the trails and in the route the animal has or will go. But as cheap as snares are it wouldnt hurt to get a couple dozen and start learning. Snares in my opinion are more productive if you know what your doing. Also they are lighter to carry around if you have allot of walking on the trap line and cant drive. Another thing is they are easyer and quicker to set,You dont have the scent control to worry about as bad,They are much cheaper and they will hold the animal better because they dispatch the animal within a few seconds after its caught. The snare cuts off the blood flow from the vein in its neck and the animal passes out and sufficates. Another thing with snares is its less likely to get the animals trap smart. With leg holds the animals will get trap smart real easy if you set to many traps in 1 area and if that happens you wont catch much. With snares you can set the trails and you can and should put out 2 or 3 times as many snares as leg holds and you dont have to worry. I would suggest buying a couple dozen snares and about a dozen leg holds and just experament with it. You will catch some stuff in the leg holds and as you do you will get better. With the snares they are better in my personal opinion but they are useless if you dont know what your doing. I have a snare video also i will sell for the same price as the fox and i will combine shipping so it wont cost anymore to ship. Let me know.
Back to top Go down
https://hunt-fish-taxidermy.forumotion.com
buckrub (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Okay.. Im interested...   Okay.. Im interested... EmptyThu Sep 13, 2007 9:40 pm

i agree atleast a 2 for yote i have been using 3's though 3's also hold mt lion caught a few before
Back to top Go down
Matt (Administrator)
Admin
Matt (Administrator)

PostSubject: Re: Okay.. Im interested...   Okay.. Im interested... EmptyThu Sep 13, 2007 9:45 pm

Yes 3 would probley be better for most and would work here also but in GA unfortunantly we dont have the big coyotes that all the northerners have. You could almost use a 1 1/2 here and probley get away with it.
Back to top Go down
buckrub (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Okay.. Im interested...   Okay.. Im interested... EmptyThu Sep 13, 2007 9:48 pm

yea but be safe than sorry so use a bear trap lol u wouldnt have to worry about him just steppin on the jaw
Back to top Go down
Matt (Administrator)
Admin
Matt (Administrator)

PostSubject: Re: Okay.. Im interested...   Okay.. Im interested... EmptyThu Sep 13, 2007 10:01 pm

LOL Razz
Back to top Go down
Matt (Administrator)
Admin
Matt (Administrator)

PostSubject: Re: Okay.. Im interested...   Okay.. Im interested... EmptyThu Sep 13, 2007 10:01 pm

Sent you a PM sam
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Okay.. Im interested...   Okay.. Im interested... Empty

Back to top Go down

Okay.. Im interested...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
taxidermy & outdoors forum :: Trapping :: trappers :: Begginers-
Jump to: